Create a filter and file system
Managing email becomes much easier when you stick to a plan each time you log in. These tips will help you regain control of your inbox and save time going forward.
- Prepare a few templates you can personalize to respond to similar kinds of messages.
- Reply immediately whenever possible. If you need more information or more time to write a proper reply, file those emails to a “later” folder or mark them as unread—then respond before end of the day so they don’t pile up.
- Create no more than three folders to manage your emails and streamline filing. Designate one folder for action required, one for a delegate (if needed), and one for archiving emails you want to keep.
- Unsubscribe from newsletters you habitually delete or ignore – a few a day until your inbox is “clean” of unwanted emails.
- Set up filters for non-work related messages so they land in a folder you can read through when you have time.
Once you have a smart system for email in place, you won’t feel as burdened by your inbox – and you’ll have more time to spend on business activities that bring in more revenue.